Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I had a fun active day... (BEDA #19)

...When can I have a day like that again?!?

I went hiking today. I have only ever been hiking twice. The first time was at table rock, and I wanted to quit every five minutes. It took myself and the group I was with at least five to six hours to get to the top and back down. It was cool getting to the top and I had fun, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. The second time was with my first year working at Awanita. We went to a trail in North Carolina, and I didn't get to finish the hike. I was about to pass out and tripped up a root. My friends didn't want me going any further, so I was sort of forced to quit. That was a fun day, but almost fainting wasn't.

I went with my friends Killian and Brandon, and I had a blast. We went to Table Rock and took the trail that I took for the first time. I did have to stop a few times to shake out my legs to get blood flowing to them and to catch my breath before going up huge stone step things, but not once did I want to quit. I don't know if it was for the fact that I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it, or the fact that I didn't want to look like a square in front of my friends, but I kept pushing myself. It didn't help that one of them is a cross country runner and Ultimate Frisbee club member, and one of them used to run cross country and track. I couldn't keep up for the life of me. They were totally cool about though. (Well at least Killian was.) I respect both of them for being patient with me.

We didn't go to the very end of the trail, but the "Top" of the mountain was about a 2 minute hike down hill then back up hill to the end. The view is way better where we stopped anyway. We ate a sandwich and some fruit while we enjoyed the view. It was nice. At the half way mark on the way down, the guys decided that they wanted to run down the rest of the way. I walked back down. Knowing me if I attempted to run down, I would end up tripping. They ended the trail about 20 minutes before I did. We started at about 10:15 in the morning, and we left the park at 1. I improved my time by three hours. That made me feel super awesome! Here are some pictures I took.

I don't know if you can see, but Brandon is posing.


Brandon climbing the rock, and Killian trying to figure out how he did it.



This little shelter marked half way to the top.


The view from where we stopped.


Brandon (Right) and Killian (left) resting.


One of the little waterfalls from the bottom of the trail.


After that we went to a Chinese restaurant called Jin Jin's for lunch. It was good. It probably wasn't the best thing to eat after just hiking a mountain, but who cares. It was delicious!!! We then went to throw around a Frisbee for a bit. Brandon's friend joined us and then we tried having a two on two game of Ultimate Frisbee. That was a disaster, a train wreck if you will. When I play Ultimate, it's normally with a big group of people that agree with me running to the goal area and catching whatever comes. This time I had to do a lot of running, which isn't my cup of tea especially after just hiking and eating greasy Chinese food. Even though Brandon and I lost against Killian, and their friend, I still had fun. Though I will admit that having Killian's arm bash into my face wasn't fun. At least it wasn't his elbow. haha.

I'm not a fan of repeating what I say, but I must say this again. When can I have another fun active day like this again?!? I hope it is soon!

Today's video is not a music video. It is a video of Yellowcard performing their song "View From Heaven". This was off their DVD "Beyond Ocean Avenue". There are two reason's why I picked this song. One reason is Killian gave me a copy of their album Paper Walls, and second to pay tribute to Elisabeth Sladen who played Sarah Jane on the Doctor Who series, and in the Sarah Jane Chronicles. She passed away this morning. You will surely be missed. You were always one of my favorite companions. Your memory and spirit will live on. Rest in Peace, Elisabeth.

Yellowcard - Beyond Ocean Avenue Live At The Electric Factory


I hope you all had a wonderful tuesday.

DFTBA
~Alicia~

No comments: