Friday, April 8, 2011

I've got you covered. (BEDA #8)

As a side note to yesterdays blog, I feel I should have posted Reel Big Fish's "Don't Start A Band" music video because it would fit with the theme of it better. Oh well. I can always save that for when I rant about the mainstream music companies. :)

Anyways I just thought of something I can do on Fridays. I'm not sure if I want to make it a thing yet, but I thought I would make a blog series called "Music Video Friday". I would come up with a theme and post five or six videos to fit said theme. You all an tell me if I should make it a thing or not.

This week I will be posting cover songs! Who doesn't like a good cover? Not many bands can pull it off, but when you find a band that can, it is like magic to the ear drum. These video's to me encompass that feeling.

The first one is a video by Save Ferris. I don't know what it is about Ska bands, but they can make some of the best covers I've ever heard in my life. "Come On, Eileen" is a classic song by Dexy's Midnight Runners, and I love it. Save Ferris takes it and makes into a song that any Rude Boy would Skank to. They played this version at the Firvolity Ball at Infinitus, and I couldn't help skanking (I promise you, Skanking is an actual dance!) You listen to this cover, and try not to dance in your seat! I dare you!!! Tell me how you succeed in the comments!


I just made the decision to make all of these bands Ska bands. For two reasons. One: I have been on a ska kick since yesterday. Two: I have to get ready, and I already have in my mind four or five covers by just Ska bands alone. :)

Two of the video are from one of my favorite bands, Reel Big Fish! I love them. I don't think I've heard them cover a song and it suck!

This first one they covered and recorded for the movie BASEketball. If you watch through the movie, you can see them play their song "Beer", which fits the movie perfectly. Anyway. They covered "Take On Me" which was originally released by A-Ha. Another 80'd classic that I love.


The second song is "Monkey Man". The original version was released by Toots and The Maytals. This is a song I can truly say I have never heard of until I heard Reel Big Fish sing it. I like the original, but I think that Reel Big Fish's version fits it a bit better. Reel Big Fish released a cover album back in 2009 called "Fame, Fortune, And Fornication", and they included this song, just re-recorded from when they released this video in 2006.


The Next band is Goldfinger with their version of "99 Red Balloons". I love both versions of the song that Nena sings (The Original version was sung in German and is called "99 Luftballons"), and I like the punk twist that Goldfinger gives it. Not only that but the incorporate some of the German lyrics in at the end as well. Goldfingers version has appeared in two movies: Not Another Teen Movie and Eurotrip.


The video of the day is from Fishbone. They did a cover of "Date Rape" from Sublime that I instantly fell in love. I first heard this when I was watching the DVD "Look At All The Love We Found: A Tribute To Sublime Live", and it was awesome. I haven't heard a tribute album like that in a really long time. It wasn't about the bands performing, it was about paying tribute to one of the most influential bands of the 90's, and help those in need at the same time! I found out shortly after I watched the DVD that Fishbone made this video, and I couldn't stop watching it! It was awesome, and now I share it with you all.



I hope you all enjoyed this. If you all liked this I might make it a thing. I have a huge vault of music video knowledge that I want to share, and this would be a good way to do so on top of the daily videos that I already do. Just let me know in the comments! :)

Anyway, I need to go get ready for work. I hope you all have a great day!

DFTBA
~Alicia~

1 comment:

Meg Norris said...

Haha, awesome covers! And you're right. Ska bands do the BEST covers. I have a ska band cover cd around here somewhere but Lord knows where :P
Another of my favorites is The Mighty Mighty Bosstons (fuck, I love them) cover of Detroit Rock City :)