Thursday, April 7, 2011

My beef with Guitar Hero and the like. (BEDA #7)

Before I get into the serious discussion, I just want to let you all know how weird I can be during the day. Earlier my foot was twitching really bad, and I sat there for a good ten minutes just watching it! It is so weird looking that it fascinated me. I am so amused by the simplest things. :)

Alright! Onto my rant. I am going to tell you about the conversations leading up to what brought up why I don't like Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

Our conversation started off with me hearing a song on his Zune that I knew. It was the Christian Band Pillar. He told me that it was one of the albums he got off my zune (I let him borrow my Zune because he was lacking awesome music and I have plenty of it!). I thought that he already had it because he knows more about Christian rock (and Christian music in general) than I do. He grew up on Christian music like I did with secular music. He said to me, "If it has the word Jesus in it, then I probably know it." I told him I could probably prove you wrong on that. He said, "Well if it put Jesus in a negative light or says something bad about him. Unless you could that song on Guitar Hero." I told him I don't play Guitar Hero or Rock Band because they simplify instrument playing. We made jokes about it, and I also said, "It's kind of like Dance Dance Revolution players. They may be able to do every single step to the game right, but if you try and teach them a dance routine, odds are they would have a hard time."

Guitar Hero and Rock Band are fun games to play. I get that they are just for party entertainment, and to have a good laugh. I even play them when I'm with friends, and enjoy it. I just think the games are a little misleading.

I have met some kids who get so upset when they are trying to learn to play an actual guitar, and complain about how it is not simple. It's not suppose to be. Learning an instrument takes a lot of practice and patience. It is not as glamorous as these games make it out to be. Being in a band is actual work. For some, it is a job. Yes to entertain and express yourself, but it does take effort.

It is also a way for the big name bands to make themselves know just a little bit more and make a little more money. Now every once and a while they will feature relatively small bands, and I give them props for that. I would have given Rock Band even more props if things went through with that program that let any band make their music available to play. That would have been ground breaking!

The singing feature is another thing I don't like. You could just hum random stuff and as long as you have it on the line your fine. NO! That is not ok!!! That is pretty much giving the middle finger to the person that wrote that sound. You are pretty much saying, "I don't care about your music, You can bite me." I just don't appreciate that. These people pour their heart and souls into these lyrics (Some more than others), and you pretty much just poop on them.

There are other things, but I don't have much time to rant, and I think I went on long enough. I promised my mom I would wash the dishes, and I will do it darn it!

The music video for today is from a band who had their music in a video game...not Guitar Hero or Rock Band, but MVP Baseball 2006. It is also a song I transcribed for music theory class in high school. It is The Zuton's video for "Don't Ever Think Too Much" from their Album "Who Killed The Zutons"
Who Killed the Zutons



I hope you all don't hate me for speaking my mind about a well loved game. :)

DFTBA
~Alicia~

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

anyone who hates you for speaking your mind on your own blog is a worthless moron. never be afraid to rant in your blog!

anyways! i have Rock Band, and it's fun, but it definitely has it's pitfalls. and the singing part especially annoys me. it doesn't do things like adjust for pitch. i'll sing things in a different octave and/or key from the original and although it sounds good, the game says i fail. if i make weird squeaks in the original octave/key it gives me a perfect rating. :(
oh, and btw, i've read all your other BEDA blog posts, but i'm at work and just don't have time to make comments on all of them. :P