Thursday, August 19, 2010

Adopt a word, save the language!

With this title, I feel Peter when he tells Hiro to "Save the cheerleader, save the world".

But in all seriousness, our culture is ruining the language as we speak. In my case, as I type really. Net speak being a big thing now. It really does bug me when I see people replacing you and are with u and r. It shows how lazy we are becoming. I kind of feel bad for teachers having to grade essays. I know my essays weren't that entertaining, but at least I tried to make it as close to grammatically correct as possible.

It happens a lot on the internet. I don't know why people feel the need to shorten words. I also can't understand why people would (and this is just to reference) TyPe ThErE SeNtEnCe'S LiKe ThIs. It is rather annoying to look at, and takes up twice the amount of time to type it.

I digressed a lillte from what I was originally wanting to talk about. I found this through my friend Bevin. (Team FBO!) It is a website that lets you browse through words and adopt as many words as you want! You can find it HERE!

So far I have adopted the word divinipotent which means powerful in intuition or divination. Awesome word right?

I just thought I'd share that little gem with everyone.

Best wishes and DFTBA!

1 comment:

Meg said...

It depends on the context, for me, whether "u r" etc. is annoying. I sometimes use those abbreviations on Twitter when I need to lose a few characters. Or if I'm texting in a hurry. I try really hard not to use them otherwise, because it bothers me too. I've had the experience of grading some papers, admittedly not that many, working in a junior high last year and honestly students don't use chat speak in them, really. Which is nice.
Don't even get me started on StIcKy CaPs. Ffffuuuu.